Monday, May 6, 2013

The Thrill of the Game!


This morning I actually may have enjoyed my run, I am getting a little more comfortable in the activity. Don’t get me wrong I will never be one of those guys you see running down the road at sun up in nothing but a pair of shorts and his running shoes but I only need to make myself conform to enough running that I can withstand the final leg of these races.

I went to the baseball field last night to throw my son a little batting practice and hit a little fielding practice to him. It’s our time together and for us its fun.

I have been experiencing some serious foot issues for the last few months and I have finally put things together. I throw batting practice to twelve kids each Monday night approximately 35-40 pitches each so let’s say 480-500 pitches for batting practice in a 45 minute window of time that we have the batting cages.  To say I am sore the next morning would be an understatement but I am thinking now that I have strained my left foot and this is the pain I am experiencing the worst of. On top of all this we usually have a scrimmage game in which I pitch to the kids again so let’s say this is another 100-125 pitches all totaled I am guessing I will throw somewhere about 600 pitches each Monday night. I realize now I need to get my head checked.

My left foot is the foot I land on with each throw and the pain is sometimes crippling and other times nothing at all.  Last weekend we walked all over the Disney Parks and intermittently I was limping and other times felt nothing. Pinched nerve maybe? I am not sure yet but at least now I may have figured out what I did to cause the issue. My father was visiting last week and came to watch a practice, when we arrived at home he asked me how many kids were on the team and how many balls were in the bucket? I knew right away what he was thinking and it dawned on me that when you enjoy something your body will ignore the pain during the time you are competing long enough to feel the rush of enjoyment and then your body will collapse at the finish line. I guess this is what one of those early morning runners experience; I just want that rush at the end of each one of my Triathlons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment